- Combine flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt.
- Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in nuts and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter a 10-inch round spring-form pan (or a 9-inch square baking pan).
- Whisk together flour and baking powder and set aside.
- Cream together butter, sugar, cinnamon and salt until light and fluffy. Blend in eggs and vanilla.
- Gradually blend in flour mixture.
- Stir in apples.
- Transfer batter to prepared pan. Sprinkle topping evenly over apple mixture.
- Bake 45-50 minutes or until wooden skewer inserted into center of cake comes out clean.
- Allow to cool 15 minutes and remove sides of pan. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Source: Challenge Home Economist